Tuesday 16 June 2015

Sticking to my meal plan

I can honestly say that I have fully followed my meal plan every single day since starting to recover. I think that being able to stick to your recovery meal plan (if you have one) is necessary for a successful recovery. Even if I get really full half way through my meal, I keep eating until I complete the entirety of each meal. I always scrape every bit of food out of my bowl or off of  my plate as by doing this I know that I am beating my anorexia.

I love going to bed each night and thinking about the fact that I have successfully beat my anorexia, once again by eating everything on my meal plan. I also like being able to feel proud of myself, for doing what I know is right for my recovery. No matter what happens at my weekly weigh ins, I never need to feel dissappointed in myself as even if I dont gain enough weight, I know that it is not through anything I have done wrong.



I believe that if I was not able to stick to my meal plan or if I ate less than my calorie target I would be giving into my anorexia and giving it strength. The scary thing about anorexia is that the more you give it, the more it expects. For example if you listen to your anorexia and skip morning tea one day, it will expect you to do the same thing the following day and it will most likely want you to skip another meal too.

To me, following my meal plan is not a matter of choice. I do not think of following my meal plan any differently then I do showering, brushing my teeth or sleeping. It is simply something that I need to do, every single day. I think that anyone can follow their meal plan as well as I do, you just need to try and develop the same mindset about it that I have. Even if you have cheated on your meal plan in the past, it is never to late to stop. If you are able to successfully do this your anorexia will eventually stop trying to convince you to restrict your intake.


I cant remember the last time my anorexia tried to get me to eat less then what is specifed on my meal plan. It still gets angry when I eat, but it doesn't try to get me to eat less as it knows that it is a waste of time, as I simply refuse to do that. I suppose that one of the reasons I am like this is because I am such a perfectionist and once I set my mind to anything, I become obsessed with doing it no matter what.

As soon as I decided once and for all that I wanted to get better and therefore needed to follow my meal plan, I instantly felt as though I had no choice but to do that, no matter how painful it may be. In fact I am actually quite terrified about not being able to follow my meal plan one day, even if it was for a very genuine reason like having gastro.


If your anorexia does try and convince you to cheat on your meal plan, tell yourself the following; 'Following my meal plan, no matter how painful it may be wont kill me, however listening to my anorexia will'. To me, when you put it like this, there really is no choice when it comes to whether you should follow your meal plan or not.
Following meal plan= you getting stronger/anorexia getting weaker= you recovering

Although I always stick to my meal plan, this does not mean that I do not substitute foods for others if I am certain that they contain the same amount of energy as what was on my original meal plan. I cant stress enough how important it is to try and start seeing your meal plan as something you need to follow. I know that I would not be able to recover if I was not able to stick to my meal plan as well as I do. This is the only way you can show your anorexia who is boss and eradicate it, once and for all!






8 comments:

  1. That's a thing you can really be proud of! :) it's really hard to eat 6 times a day ... i know that! Ot many people are strong enough to do this without help!
    As an inpatient I ate 6 times a day, too. I constantly felt overfull and wanted to purge (what I never did). This feeling didnt normalise, not even after 5 months. That's why I eat 4 meals and drink 2 drinks with calories now. Now I feel hunger again, that wasnt possible before.
    I think it's really interesting how different our bodies are and it shows that every anorexic person needs individual treatment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your right Anna it is really interesting. :) but I think it is so fantastic that when you were not able to eat 6 meals, you decieed to have some calorie drinks to make up for it. This shows fantastic initiative on your part. :) xx you still fought your anorexia and did what was right for your recovery. <3

      Delete
  2. I'm bursting with pride for you, yet again! Your strength is simply incredible! I know how impossibly hard it is to follow a meal plan, so I know the strength and courage it has taken you to do what you have done and it blows my mind! I love that last picture in the post too :) <3 xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. <3 Always remember that you also contain the strength you need to follow your meal plan Annie, you just have to believe in yourself! xx

      Delete
  3. Bless your heart for posting this...I am much older than you and struggling to follow my meal plan,today was very hard.But reading how strong and positive you are gave me the push I needed....tomorrow night I plan to be proud of myself too....and each day after.Tonight I will be glad I found you....Thank you for helping me...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This means so much to me. So thank you. <3 Goodluck with following your meal plan from now on. Always remember that you CAN recover. You just need to believe that recovery is possible and believe in yourself. You DO have the strength you require to follow your meal plan and recover! Keep fighting and you WILL make a full recovery from anorexia and you WILL be able to live the wonderful life you truly deserve to live. <3 xx

      Delete
  4. I did it yesterday and so far,so good for today!I hope your day is going well....and thank you again...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations! you should be so proud of yourself for I know how hard doing this would have been for you. See you can do it! Yes it was difficult but you did it anyway. Keep fighting this way and you will recover. I am so excited for you and I really hope you can keep it up as it is the only way you will be able to recover and you deserve to recover. Everyday you beat your anorexia you are 1 day closer to fully recovering!
      Stay strong and keep fighting!! <3 xx

      Delete