Wednesday 11 November 2015

So... theres this boy

I feel strange writing about this on here but since I share everything else with you all anyway, I may as well share this too. And I feel as tgough I need to explain why once again my blogging might not be the best this weekend.

For the past few weeks, I have been talking to a particular guy who I have never met, but who is a friend of a friend. He is incredibely nice and easy to talk to and we seem to have a lot in common. The only bad thing is, he lives over three hours away which means that it is a very long way to travel, in order for us to meet up.

Despite this we have organised for him to come up to Swansea this weekend sonwe can meet and hopefully spend some more time together. I felt terrible asking him to drive all the way down here but he doesn't seem to mind at all which i think is so sweet. 

Something else I think is sweet is that he has agreed to come and watch my little sisters dance concert on Saturday night. I am pretty sure that going to something like that would be incredibely unappealing to most 22 year old guys, but he has said he will go anyway, as I guess he can tell its important to me.

So even though i havent actually met this guy in person yet, I can already tell that he is a great guy and I hope that things arent awkward at all when he arrives. We talk basically every day already so I dont think it will be hard for us to make conversation. But I suppose only time will tell. 

For so long whilst I was sick, I had no interest in guys what so ever. But now I feel as though I want a relationship, more then anything else. I feel as though a relationship would help me in my final stages of recovery as it would help to normalize my life and make me start acting more like a typical 21 year old girl.

Even if things dont get as far as a realtionship with this boy, I know that I have found a new friend who is an amazing person. So I feel as though it is impossible to lose in this particular situation. I am a bit nervous about meeting this guy for the first time but I am sure it will be fine. Wish me luck (although I really hope I don't need it!).

I just found this on line, hopefully it helps haha.

How to Make Things Less Awkward When First Meeting a Guy

by Beth Burgess, Demand Media Google

Laughing and smiling can help you feel less awkward.
Laughing and smiling can help you feel less awkward.
It is normal to feel a bit awkward when first meeting someone new, and this can feel especially difficult if it's a guy you might be interested in romantically. Girls may feel self-conscious and worry about how they come across to a guy, which can produce feelings of anxiety and stress. He may be feeling just as nervous as you, but luckily there are ways to put you both at ease and make the encounter less awkward.

Smile at Him
Take the pressure out of the situation simply by smiling. Not only does a smile look warm and welcoming to a guy, but it could actually relieve you both of stress. According to a study published in "Psychological Science" in 2012, smiling during a stressful event can reduce your heart rate, making you feel less anxious. The University of Kansas research showed that a genuine smile, which engages the muscles surrounding both the mouth and eyes, is even more effective for reducing stress than a smile using only the lips. Think briefly of a happy memory to bring about a genuine grin.

Make Him Laugh

When people feel socially awkward, humor can often help to break the ice. A study by John Jay College, which was published in "Group Processes and Intergroup Relations," showed that making a joke diffused tension when people were in awkward social encounters. A good introductory joke that doesn't sound too corny is: “When I told my best friend I was meeting you tonight, she advised me: ‘Don’t try to be too charming, witty or intellectual. Just be yourself.’”

Talking Topics

Other things that made people feel less awkward when getting to know each other included emphasizing common interests and receiving compliments, the University of Kansas research revealed. A good way of doing both things together is to pick up on an item of clothing he is wearing and tell him what you like about it. Perhaps you could compliment his shoes and tell him you have a pair that are the same brand. Or you could mention that his shirt is your favorite color.

Conversing Smoothly

People often find it difficult to have a flowing conversation with someone new, because they make short, closed statements, reports the Shyness Research Institute at Indiana University Southeast. For a conversation to flow, you must provide "hooks" that a guy can catch onto, so he can continue the conversation. A good way of doing this is by making a statement and then asking him a question about it. You could try: "I saw a great movie yesterday. Do you have a favorite film?" or “I'm going to a concert tomorrow. What music do you like?"

No comments:

Post a Comment