Saturday 11 April 2015

My biggest obsession

For the last few years, my life has has revolved around various obsessive behaviours and compulsions, but the worst of these for me has been calorie counting. When I say I counted calories, I mean I took it to a whole knew extreme. Every piece of food I placed in my mouth had to be weighed so I could calculate the exact number of calories it contained and if the exact number of calories of a food couldnt be calculated, I would refuse to eat it. I would not be satisfied with just reading the nutritional values on packets of food either as I didn't trust them and knew that most portions were actually bigger than stated on the packaging. I also couldn't eat a food like sultanan bran (breakfast cereal) as I would be too anxious about the composition of ingredients that ended up in each serve. For example if the ingredients stated that the cereal was supposed to be 10% sultanas and 90% Bran flakes, I would be worried that there was actually 15% sultanas and only 85% Bran flakes which would slightly alter the calorie content. I obviously don't refuse to eat foods like these anymore and can now see how silly I was being but at the time it absalutely terrified me.

Every food you can think of I would weigh. Even once I stopped starving myself and eating considerable amounts of food I still continued to obsessively count calories. For example to make breakfast I would weigh two slices of bread and then toast them before weighing out the correct portion of spread. To make cereal I would weigh out the cereal, milk, yoghurt, fruit or anything else I may have been putting on top of it. Every piece of fruit and every serving of vegetables needed to be weighed and I would weigh any snacks like muesli bars, biscuits, icecream bars and chocolate. If i ever weighed out a portion prior to a meal time I would always re-weigh it just before eating it in case I had made a mistake and I would still feel anxiety while eating it as I would be paranoid I had missread the scale somehow. At one point I was not only obsessed with ensuring I had the perfect amount of calories each day but also that my macro balance was what I considered to be perfect too. Each day I made myself eat 35g of fat, 310g of carbohydrates and 70g of protein. It was actually very time consuming to plan my following days food as I would have to search for a foods that would fit into my macronutrient and calorie goal. For example if I found that I needed to add more fat and protein to my day, I would have fewer vegetables for tea and add an egg instead. Or if my Carb intake was too low, I would have jam in my sandwhich instead of Peanut Butter at lunch. As you can see I never actually got to eat what I felt like and this was an extremely unhealthy way to be. Luckily I have improved enormously since then.


Now I am much less worried about exact calorie counts. While I still keep a basic count of calories to ensure I am eating enough, the weighing of most foods has stopped. For example, I don't weigh each piece of fruit or each slice of bread I eat anymore and I do not weigh snacks like chocolate bars or muffins to make sure I know the exact number of calories they contain. I dont weigh butter or spreads like I used too and feel as though I can use generous amounts of spreads without feeling anxious. I dont weigh the belgium or ham that I put in my sandwhiches anymore and it doesn't really worry me anymore not knowing exactely how many calories I eat each day. As long as I know I am eating enough to allow my body to recover I am happy. I always refused to eat anything that I had not prepared myself as I couldn't be sure of how many calories were in it but now I have the freedom of going out for tea with my family to restaurants and eating food prepared by others. While doing this still makes me a little anxious, I don't feel as though the anxiety is anything I cant overcome.



I am going to be honest and admit to you all that there are still a few foods I weigh and this is because I feel anxious while serving them up and think I would eat too little if I didn't weigh them out.  For example, when I make pasta salad, I weigh the amount of dry pasta I add and I do the same with rice in rice dishes I make. Hopefully one day I wont feel the need to do this at all but I honestly think that if I didn't do this I would end up eating far fewer calories as my anxiety would get the better of me and I would add too little of something. For example if I am putting grated cheese on a pizza I weigh the cheese as otherwise I would feel anxious about the amount I was putting on and not put on enough. I also weigh icecream as I am serving it up for dessert as by weighing it, the anxiety disappears and I am free to dish myself up a more generous and adequate portion that meets my calories needs. As I said I hope that one day in the not so distant future I no longer feel as though I need to weigh any of the food I eat but for now, especially while I am trying so hard to gain weight, I think that it is necessary. What are other peoples views on this? Do you think that what I am doing is wrong or can you understand where I am coming from? What experiences have you all had with weighing food and counting calories?

my late supper tonight (I have had a yoghurt as well since tea)

4 comments:

  1. Hey hun <3
    I think for the present hun you shouldn't worry too much about what you are doing in regard to the weighing of certain foods. I am so glad that you don't feel compelled to weigh out every single thing you eat as this most certainly is not healthy. But what you are doing now is perfectly acceptable for now I think until perhaps you feel a bit more confident in regard to portion sizes etc. For one thing weighing out pasta is something alot of people do I think because its always hard to judge how much pasta to cook for everyone. In time you might not need to do this but for now I think its grand hun. On the ward I was on as an inpatient we measured out cereal and milk and such like. I think its just important to not feel oblged to have a very precise amount of something. For example if you have a little extra few grams of cheese on your pizza, or a few extra millimetres of milk on your cereal, this is perfeclty fine and not something you should feel worried about. The recommended portion sizes and their weights are guidelines rather than targets. Hope this helps hun! xxx ps. the supper looks delicious...is that hot chocolate and biscuits I can see? That's my ALLTIME favourite snack or all!!! ;) xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much emmy, it is definetely helpful advice and just reassures me that as long as I am making some progress, I am headed in the right direction. I am now rational enough to realise that as long as i am eating approximately enough it is ok which I am glad about :). I know that sometimes I might have a little more or a little less and that doesnt worry me. :) and I totally agree with your statement about reccommended amounts being guidelines. I havent considered this all that much before but it is definetely great advice.

    My main goal is to end up eating intuitively and to stop calorie counting altogether but I know I cant do this until I am weight restored. I dont think eating intuituvely would work for me until I am weight restored as it purely involves listening to your bodys hunger queues and cravings. I think that while gaining weight you need to eat even more than what your body tells you it needs, so the excess energy can be stored. :) talk soon. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi. I know this post is quite old but I've only just discovered your blog and it's literally FAB! I'm in recovery at the minute and I'm sort of stuck at a stage similar to yours. Except, I end up counting calories and recounting them over and over again. It drives me insane and I can't stop. I always feel like I need to move more and be more active (like running up the stairs or going the long way around etc) to burn it off too but I'm banned from exercise �� Don't get me wrong, I'm following my meal plan and getting enough but I'm so worried what'll happen if I don't count calories and weigh what I eat... it's ruining my life. Please help. My therapist is useless, any tips...? Thank u xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cassie, I am so glad you are finding my blog helpful. Although i d post so much anymore, it means a lot to know that people are still benefiting from old posts i have written :) your situation sounds IDENTICLE to mine amd i remember experiencing exactly what you currently are. I also remember how much i hated having to weigh everything but couldnt see anither alternative that wouldnt lead to me feeling super anxious and eating less. I dont have all the answers but i can tell you what helped me to improve :) to begin with, i started eating more packhed foods so that I knew the amount of calories but didnt feel the need to weigh everything. Although this wasnt a great behaviour either, in the long run i believed it helped me to move towards being less pedantic about calories while still ensuring i was eating enough. Some things i just made myself stop like weighing pieces of fruit etc. This dod cause anxiety but eventually i managed to overcome it! So basically i would just try and stop weighing some things and slowly cut back. Trying to cut out weighing everything at the one time would probably seem to overwhelming, which may prevent you from trying in the first place. Finally, all i will say is that i know it feels like it will never get easier but it really does. Its not an easy process or a fast process but it is possible and worth it! Xx

      Delete