Thursday 16 April 2015

Sister by chance, Best friend by choice



On holiday in Queemsland last year



My little sister came and spent a few hours with me today as my mum and dad are both working and she is on her school holidays. My little sister, even though she is 9 years younger than me would definetely be my best friend. We have always been extremely close and think the world of one another. I have always tried my absolute hardest to protect her from my anorexia and I honestly believe that I have been quite successful in doing so. Unfortunately there are other things going on at home in my family that I can't completely protect her from.






A few summers ago



Our family is by no means perfect, even when my anorexia is taken out of the picture. I try to give Amy the support she needs to get her through any problems she faces. I feel terrible for what she has been put through so far in her life and know that no little girl should have to deal with what she does. Fortunately I am here to suppoprt her though as when I was a little girl, I didn't have a big sister to look out for me. I didn't have anyone to honestly speak about my concerns with growing up and I feel like bottling up all those thoughts for so many years has contributed to some of my anxiety. I felt terrible moving out of home and leaving Amy their alone but she knows that she is always welcome at my place.


Amy and I 7 years ago

We had a great chat today and I think she was relieved to get some things off her chest that she feels like she cant talk about with anybody else. When she left she thanked me for listening to her and told me that she loves 'our talks' which made me very happy. Even though she is only 12 years old I feel as though she is very mature and this is probably due to what she has been exposed to throughout her child hood. I just hope that It doesn't badly effect her later on in her life. 

Amy is coming to stay with me Saturday night and I plan to have a really fun time with her. Having fun is what life should be all about for a 12 year old girl and that is exactely what she desrves. I am hoping to give her a completely worry free weekend.

2 comments:

  1. <3 that is so sweet and moving hun, reading this almost made me cry!! I too have a very close relationship with my sister. I can't imagine how hard it must be for a sibling to see their brother or sister going through an eating disorder. Liz however has always been my rock, she is so strong and never lets the eating disorder effect her and she always inspires me so much in that she has such a positive attitude towards food and life in general.I would love to be more like her. i hope u have a lovely time with amy on saturday karly. Lots of love and I hope you got the email ok hun. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think Amy will ever realise just how much she means to me and how much she has helped me throughout my anorexia. I am sure you would agree that it is really special to have a relationship like this with a sibling. I think it also gives you more motivation to get better because you want to get better for them, as well as yourself! I have just replied to the email so hopefully that comes through! :) xx Talk soon.

      Delete