Wednesday 22 April 2015

Progress






This morning while eating my breakfast I began thinking about the progress I have made in the past month or so. Even something as simple as making breakfast, which was once a routine centred around anorexic behaviours, is now relatively normal. Even when my anorexic thoughts arise, I now have the strength to fight them.

A month ago I would have weighed the fruit I put on my oats, weighed the bread for my toast and also weighed out a standard portion of nut spread for my toast so that I could be sure that I was eating an exact number of calories.



This morning while making breakfast, I had the anorexic thoughts that I should weigh all of these things out, but instead of giving in and listening to my anorexic thoughts, I did the complete opposite.

I sliced up a full banana to put on my oats without weighing out a certain amount, I chose the thickest two pieces of bread I had left (because my anorexia was telling me to pick the two thinnest) and I put a very generous amount of Peanut butter on my toast (much more then I would have if I had weighed out a standard portion).

The best thing is, I can do all of these things now without feeling too guilty or anxious. Instead I feel good and proud of myself for being stronger than my eating disorder. No, I am not fully recovered and I still have a long way to go but that doesn't mean I shouldn't be proud of all the progress I am making.





I believe it is really important that you are able recognise any progress you make and that you feel proud for anything you achieve throughout your entire recovery journey. Every now and then while you are recovering I suggest that you stop and take a moment to think about what you have to be proud of. If you honestly can't think of anything, then maybe you should actively go out and do something that you can be proud of in regards to your recovery. Recovering involves learning to love yourself and respect yourself for who you are and this includes being proud of yourself for the achievements you make.






No comments:

Post a Comment