Saturday 27 June 2015

My anorexia still controls me sometimes

A few nights ago, something happened that made me realise that while I my have learnt to control my anorexic thoughts a lot more now, they are still strong enough to control me sometimes too. I was working quite late at the supermarket and my nan came in and told me that it didn't matter if I didn't have a chance to walk Tess my dog, as she had walked her for me. The first emotion I felt was anger. I obviously didn't want to be rude to me nan so I just said in a half jokingly way "Naaaaan, you shouldn't have done that".

Once my nan left I still felt annoyed about the fact that she had walked Tess for me and considered walking her again anyway. I first put this down to the fact that I am very independant and dont really like other people doing things for me but I knew deep down that there was more to it than that. When I really thought about it, I realised that it was my anorexia that was so incredibely angry that my nan had walked Tess for me, as it meant that I no longer had to do it, meaning I would not get as much exercise for the day.

As soon as I realised that these were anorexic thoughts I was having, I knew that I couldn't listen to them and that I therefore couldn't walk Tess again that night. I then started feeling guilty about how I had spoken to my nan. I wasn't incredibely nasty or anything but I think she would have realised that I wasnt happy that she had walked Tess. When I got home I rang my nan and thanked her for walking Tess for me. I told her that I was very grateful not to have to go back out in the cold again that night and she seemed happy that I had called.

If someone would have asked me before this happened if my anorexia ever still controls the way I act, I probably would have said that it didn't. I would have said that while I still have anorexic thoughts, I do not act upon them. This particular experience showed me that my anorexia still does have the ability to affect my actions however. This tells me that while I am recovering, I still have a lot more progress to make and I still need to be very careful that I do not accidently act at upon my anorexic thoughts. Afterall, acting on these thoughts will only give my anorexia strength and set me back in my recovery.




8 comments:

  1. Good, that you realised it early enough :) don't be angry about yourself. Recovery is a long way, a hard progress and you are a real fighter!
    How do you feel in your body now? What does your body image say? Xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anna, Sometimes I struggle with my body image but it isnt terribly bad at the moment. I know that I will struggle more and more as I get cloer to my natural set point though. I am determined however to keep fighting until I learn to love my body the way it is naturally supposed to be! <3 xx

      Delete
  2. Well done you for fighting your anorexia in this way! I hope that you are feeling better now! Laura xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura! I am feeling a little better now but still not 100%. Now I think about it I think it could possibely have something to do with going off of my pill? Because it is ever since I stopped taking it I have feltt sick. xx

      Delete
  3. WEll done for fighting the thoughts. They are super hard to ignore, but you're super-strong and can fight anything, you prove that day in day out! Do you have two jobs, supermarket and bank? Sorry if that's a stupid question, I just got confused! Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Annie <3 Yeah, I work three days per week at the bank and then 1 day per week at the supermarket as well as every third weekend. :) xx What university course are you hoping to do next year? xx

      Delete
    2. Wow you must be super busy with all that work! Do you enjoy them both? I have a place to study Spanish and English Literature at university, but I've had to defer it for a year because I got so unwell, so now I'm going in September 2016 instead. Fingers crossed all goes well! Xx

      Delete
    3. Yeah I do enjoy them both :) I like my job at the bank as it is challenging and then ai also like my job at the supermarket as I find irit really easy and enjoy chatting to all the customers. I love working in customer service as I find it keeps me in a good mood and mindset as I need to be polite and cheerful to the customers. :D wow, those courses sound great! Keep fighting and you will get there for sure! <3 XX

      Delete