Wednesday 24 June 2015

What is a healthy diet?

I often find myself wondering whether or not what I eat each day is healthy or if I have too many 'unhealthy foods'. The conclusion I have come to is that it is ok to eat a some 'unhealthy food' as long as you eat lots of other nutritious foods as well. For example although I eat cakes, puddings and chocolate everyday, I also eat lots of fruit and vegetables. I have atleast 4 pieces of fruit every single day and I also have lots of vegetables with my tea each night.

I also try to have alot of dairy products so that my body is recieving lots of calcium. Dairy products I have throughout the day include milk (in my oats/hot chocolate), my up and Go I have with morning Tea, my dairy desssert I have with lunch each day, icecream with my pudding at night and even in my chocolate bar that I have for afternoon Tea. Ioften also have either yoghurt or creamed rice with my afternoon tea. I also try to have some meat each day for iron as I have sufferened from iron defficiency in the past.

I think that it is important to eat foods that are typically clasified as unhealthy in recovery so that the fear associated with these foods dissapears. Also, since a high calorie diet is needed during recovery, these types of foods help a person recovering to reach their high calorie intake goals. To be completely honest, the main reason I eat typically unhealthy food in my recovery is because I really enjoy them. I have spent so much of my life stopping myself from eating nice foods that I love that I dont want to do it anymore.

So as long as I enjoy eating things like chocolate and cake, I will continue to eat them. Afterall If I wanted to spend the rest of my life worrying about what I was eating, I wouldnt be going to the effort of trying to recover from anorexia. I dont judge other people who are dedicated to eating healthily as I believe that this is a personal choice that everyone is entitled to make but I do not think that it is healthy for me to take on this kind of approach to food. So while I may not have the healthiest diet in the world, I believe that it is healthy FOR ME, which is all that really matters.



4 comments: