Saturday 6 June 2015

My current thoughts

I have been thinking a bit lately, about how my life still seems to be completely centred around food and weight. The truth is, these two things seem to be what my life still revolves around at the moment, just as it did when I was at my sickest, before I entered recovery. Everyday seems to be the same. making sure I eat all of my meals and restricting my pshysical activity so that I am able to gain the weight I need to. Going to work most days and resting on my days off. Grocery shopping and cooking; these are all things I do each day but they all revolve around the same things.

I have also been thinking about the fact that 99% of my blog posts are also written about Anorexia, weight and food and it makes me wonder whether it is too much. Should I be trying to write about other things too, to keep it more interesting for my readers? At the end if the day this is a recovery blog so recovery will always be the main focus of my blog however I would like to try and add more about the rest of my life too. The problem is, I dont really know what else there is in my life worth writing about.

I feel as though through having anorexia I have lost my identity. I dont really have a social life, besides the people I work with and I dont really have many hobbies or interests. Its as if the time I spent really sick made me forget what its like to have a life outside of food, weight and calories and now I need to try and get my real life back. While I think it is important to make eating and weight gain priorities while you are recovering, I believe you need to have other things to concentrate on as well.

I worry that when the time comes to try and let go of my anorexia all together, as I have reached the end of my recovery, I wont know what to do with my life. I need to have other hobbies or interests so that my life is not just empty, once recovery is no longer the main focus of it. But how do I find other things to focus my time and energy on? It is difficult, living in a small town. There are no sporting opportunities for girls and there are hardly any other people my age living in the town.

At this stage, after I recover I still plan to continue blogging, even if its not quite as often as I currently do. I feel that once I am fully recovered I will have even more advice and knowledge to offer to those who are suffering and that need help. Ever since I developed anorexia I have wanted to help people who suffer from it, as I know just how impossible everything can seem. I want to show people that it is possible, that you can get better and recover so that you can live a perfectly happy and healthy life.

I need other things for my life to revolve around too though. I mean, obviously I would love to find an amazing guy to have a relationship with but I worry that I will never meet anyone because I never go anywhere or do anything. Does anyone have any advice for me? Does anyone know how to make your life about more that just weight and food, both in recovery and after it?








4 comments:

  1. Wow, Karly reading this was almost like you had read my mind and written the thought in your post. I have exactly the same thoughts and doubts and uncertainties. I am sure that things will fall into place, and most likely it is the Anorexia making us feel this way. Right now your recovery is the main focus of your thoughts, because it is the most important thing for you to do right now. But that also doesn't mean we can't find other things to put into our life at the same time. Ask your self, what do you enjoy? What makes you happy and feel relaxed? What would you do if you could do anything right now? x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have made me feel a bit better Anna, knowing that I am not alone in feeling like this so thanks x. I honestly dont know what else I could do in my life, but I will definetely keep thinking about it. It seems so long since I have had a real healthy and balanced life when I havent been obsesing over something (if it wasnt food and weight it was school work and studying). But the first thing I need to do is make a bit of a social life for myself (meeting you is at the top of my list <3).
      Karly xx

      Delete
  2. This is a bit late, but for me, I found that the healthier I became (weight wise), the more my thoughts turned to other things. I found that I actually wanted to be around people and to try new things. I also found that I had much more energy to do things, and just focusing on food etc wasn't enough to focus on anymore. I know it's hard, but it takes patience and time. However, I did find lots of anxiety at the time, and went through exactly the same thing as you. I really tried and still do try to challenge myself to do new things and step outside my comfort zone to see what I do and don't like. This makes you feel better in the long run and helps to find new interests and hobbies. I also think it's important to allow yourself to accept that you will not like some things, and that's okay. I thought that recovery would mean I suddenly wanted to do everything and anything, but the truth is, we are still like everyone else and have things we don't like to do, as well as things we do like to do. Recovery does not mean that you suddenly like everything and everything is perfect (which is what I though it was!). I think for me, that was important to remember, and also not to compare myself to others e.g. 'So and so likes to play squash and go to the cinema, therefore I should also like that.' Everyone is different, and over time your thoughts will shift and yo will find what you like, but you need to step out of your comfort zone to find them. Sorry if this isn't helpful and just a long ramble! Laura xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, it was really helpful Laura :) thank you so much for sharing your experience of this, I hope that this happens for me too. :) xx

      Delete