Tuesday 2 June 2015

ANGI reminder

I have already written a couple of posts about this but since I have some new readers, I wanted to share it again, as it is something I am very passionate about.

This is the biggest study that has ever taken place in the world trying to find the genetic link to Anorexia and I was so excited when I knew I could participate. After doing the survey I was invited to donate blood, which I did about a month ago. I encourage anyone living in Australia, Sweden, USA or Denmark who has had or has anorexia to take the survey and participate. It was very easy and also extremely rewarding knowing that I was helping scientists to find out more about this awful disease that people know so little about.
The blood donation kit I recieved in the mail

Medical scientists believe that if they are able to find what genes are associated with Anorexia, they will be able to determine which individuals are susceptible to developing the illness as well as design better treatment for those already suffering.

I definetely think there is a strong genetic association with Anorexia. My dads sister (who I have not actually ever met) had anorexia when she was the exact same age as me and was sick for quite a few years. I also have cousins that have had anorexia, one of which actually committed suicide because she could not bare to live with it any longer.

If you think you may be able to participate in this wonderful study, please do it. By donating blood you could be helping medical scientists to save thousands of lives in the future.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, I agree with you Karly, this is a fantastic study and it is so good to see scientists interested in finding out more about Anorexia. I had my collection kit sitting at home for a month before I felt comfortable getting my blood taken and sending it off, but it is one of the best decision I have ever made. I am so glad to see you share this, it is such an important cause xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad you have done It to Anna! <3 XX

      Delete