Monday 8 June 2015

My weight gain so far

Today has been an ok day considering my anorexic thoughts have been quite strong and this is because I spent it with my gorgeous little sister. I love spending time with Amy as she has the ability to cheer me up and distract me from any anorexic thoughts I may be having. So even though I felt more self conscious about how my body is changing today then I have in a long time, I also laughed more than I have in a long time as well, which I am grateful for.

These pictures are of Amy playing outside in the gale force winds we had today. She almost got blown away.





I have been pleasantly surprised by how well I have dealt with my weight gain in my recovery so far and I honestly think that this is just because my mind has recovered as I gained the weight. Because I had such a distorted body image when I was at my sickest, I actually saw myself very similarily to what I now see myself, with my less distorted body image. Of course my Anorexia was still angry whenever I got on the scales and saw I had gained weight, but the weight gain hasnt been anywhere near as obvious to me as I thought it would be, when I look at my body.


Up until now, I havent actually felt that much bigger then I always have, even though I have gained almost 8 kilograms from my lowest weight. Now however I am starting to notice differences in my body and it is really hard. I need to get used to the fact that I am not always going to be the skinniest girl in the room anymore and that I may need to buy an item of clothing, not necessarily in its smallest size. I know that these things do not say anything about who I am as a person and there are much more important things in life that I should be focusing on, but it is still going to be difficult to adjust to my changing body.
Even though I am starting to feel quite self conscious about my weight gain, I am determined to keep gaining weight until I am sure I am properly weight restored. When I first started my recovery, I had the goal of getting to a bmi of 18 which I have practically reached now. My anorexia would love me to stop gaining weight now, which is exactly why I know I need to keep eating recovery amounts. Deep down I know that I havent nourished my body and mind for the amount of time it needs in order to properly heal. I could stop my recovery now but this would mean that I would remain in a half recovered state, which is not something I want at all. I am determined to fully recover and refuse to settle for anything less.


10 comments:

  1. Wow Karly, you are so strong and amazing! You are such an inspiration for everyone recovering, as reaching a healthy set point should be the objective, where your body is healthy and happy. If you can do it, I can do it. Thank you, and congratulations, you are doing wonderfully and are lovely! Thinking of you, Laura xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Laura for this beautiful comment, it means a lot. <3 you are so right Laura, you can do it too and as long as you truly believe this you will. There is no doubt in my mind that if you keep fighting you will be able to oneday live a Life completely free of anorexia.
      Stay strong gorgeous, I hope you get my email ok? <3
      Karly xx

      Delete
    2. Thank you! Yes I did indeed! Laura xxxxx

      Delete
  2. Amazing post, You are doing so well, stay strong! xo
    http://www.libertylifeandselfhelp.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karly <3 you are wonderful. Deep down you know what is best for you and you are not letting Anorexia stop you from doing what you need to do. This is true recovery and shows so much strength. I'm going through a similar thing at the moment, so you are not alone. We are all in this together. Keep fighting gorgeous girl <3 xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anna, I am so glad to be going through this by your side. <3 your strength and support helps me so much xx You keep fighting too Anna, I will talk to you soon <3 xx

      Delete
  4. Massive well done to you lovely! No matter what your ED throws at you, bad thoughts and everything, you just plough on through and that is such an inspiration. You are doing so exceedingly well and it is just incredible what you are doing! Keep up the fantastic work you're doing, and you'll soon be fighting fit once again! Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Annie, for you ongoing support. Always remember that you too will one day be where I am, if you keep believing and fighting.
      Stay strong gorgeous xx

      Delete
    2. I'll always be here rooting for you and hopefully being as supportive as I can! I've been in this situation for over a decade, so hopefully you're right that I will get to the point where you are, I just need to believe and fight like you say. Thank you so much :) xxx

      Delete