Sunday 20 September 2015

Hating my bum

Everybody has a part of ther own body that they hate or dislike. I guess the secret to being happy and having a positive self body image is not to change the thing you may not like, but to instead learn to accept it and live with it.

The part of my body that I have always hated as long as I can remember is my bum. In my opinion I have always had a big bum and have always been incredibly self conscious of it. Growing up my dad and brothers would always tease me bout my 'big bum' which I think made me even more self conscious and made me worry even more about it.

For some reason, any body fat I ever gained always did go straight to my bum and even now, since becoming weight restored most of my weight gain has gone straight to my bum (and also my chest). I suppose that it is due to genetics or something but I know that I need to learn to accept it as this is obviously the way I am naturally supposed to be.

I just need to remind myself that I should be happy that I am healthy and enjoying life. It is so silly to be worrying so muuch over my 'big bum,' which probably isn't even that big. I think that a part of the reason why my bum looks so big to me is only because my waist is so tiny . So in fact I probbably only have a ''normal' sized bum but a smaller then normal waist.

I think a hugely important thing for me to learn is that there is nothing wrong with being 'normal.' My anorexia developed in the first place because I wanted to be skinny and because I was not happy with just being 'normal' sized. I suppose that it is related to my perfectionist personality but it is definetely something I am going to keep working on utill I overcome it.

So everytime I feel self consious about my bum or catch sight of the reflection of my body in a mirror or window and feel unhappy (which has been a lot lately), I just need to remind myself that my bum is ok. It is just a part of who I am and I need to accept that. :)


1 comment:

  1. I can totally relate to this post, but about my thighs and hips rather than my bum. I was 'teased' (bullied) by my step-mum about having huge hips, and it stuck with me, just like you and your bum. I think we think that it is the problem area partly because we were teased about it, and so it becomes an issue for us, so then we think it is bigger than it is really. Does that make sense? It makes sense in my head anyway!! I hope you're ok Karly, don't be listening to your anorexia, it is just one big fat lie! Stay strong always lovely xxx

    ReplyDelete