Tuesday 12 May 2015

A huge day

I have had a huge day today and it feels like forever since I left home this morning. I left home at 6:30am and it was still completely dark. It was wet and windy while driving up to launceston and the closer I got, the more nervous I began to feel about driving through the city. I breathed a huge sigh of relief when I reached my hotel and realized I had been worried over nothing. The hotel is only at the edge of the city and in the area of Launceston I am most familiar with which also helped a lot.

The reason I am so familiar with the area is because the hotel is directly accross the road from the hospital where I was an inpatient for 6 weeks. While I was an inpatient I would go for my daily walks around the area (which were actually more like runs). The whole time I was walking I was completely controlled by my anorexia and when I got back the nurses would always be angry with me as I would be hot and sweaty from walking so fast.

I would love to go and see the nurses on the kids ward while I am here but I dont think I will as they would probably be dissapointed with me, as I am actually thinner now then I was when I was first admitted there. I have made plans to go out for tea with my Best Friend who lives in Launceston Thursday night. Grace has been my best friend for as long as I can remember and I will always consider her to be my best friend even though I feel as though we have become a bit more distant since I got sick.

All of the people attending the training course are lovely which has also been very reassuring for me. And I have coped relatively well with my food considering being so far outside my comfort zone. After looking through the restaurant menu here at the hotel I soon realised that the type of food was very 'fancy' and nothing at all like what I was used to. Half of the ingredients in the meal descriptions I had never even heard of and the meals were incredibely expensive.

A few of the options were;

Togarashi Spiced Crispy Skin Salmon with Spanner Crab, sweet corn and nishiki rice

Roasted Chicken breast with tomatoes, red peppers and shitake mushrooms w' coriander verde'

Charred venison with sweet potato, garlic and eggplant w' fried ginko beans and jus

So you can probably see why the menu looked a little intimidating to me whose idea of going out for tea is having a counter meal at the pub with my family. I decided to go to the supermarket and get some shelf ready hokkien stir fry noodles, chicken breast and teriyaki sauce. When I got back to my hotel room I ordered a plate of steamed vegetables from room service and then mixed them with the noodles (which I just needed to add to boiling water, chicken and teriyaki sauce to make a yummy terriyaki chicken stir fry. It was delicious, but not as nice as the vanilla slice I had for dessert that I also bought from the supermarket. It has been a long time since I last ate vanilla slice but it has always been my favourite type of bakery dessert. As well as the slice I have also had a pear and a honeycomb hot chocolate since tea.

I am not 100% sure whether I would have eaten more or less than I usually do today as my meal plan has been a little disrupted. I missed my small portion of fruit at morning tea time and my drink of juice at afternoon tea time but could have eaten more than usual for tea and dessert, I honestly dont know. Regardless of whether I ate a few more or few less calories then usual, I am still happy with what I ate and what I have achieved today. I certainly would not have lost weight even if I did eat a little bit less as I still ate heaps and I faced a lot of my fears.

Tomorrow I am going to stick to my meal plan as much as I possibely can, up until Tea and dessert anyway to ensure I am eating the right amount for me whilst I am recovering. I am going to the hotels restaurant with my friend on Thursday night so if I dont feel brave enough to tackle one of the hotels 'fancy' meals tomorrow night on my own, I may go to another restaurant in town.





I hope everyone has had a great day today! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment