Monday 18 May 2015

Questions and answers (part 2)

Are you open about your illness with the people around you? Do you find it hard or easy to talk about?
Openly talking about my illness is something I am very comfortable with so I dont mind doing it at all. I think lots of people are shocked by how openly I talk about my anorexia but I do not see it as something to be ashaimed or embarrassed by. Sometimes I get frustrated when people fail to see anorexia or other eating disorders as real illnesses. This is usually just due to people never being taught about eating disorders and therefore not understanding enough about them. The way I see it is that you can not expect others to understand eating disorders if you are not willing to help educate them. I live in a small town so nearly everyone already knew I had been sick before I started feeling comfortable enough to talk about it anyway.


What is living in Australia like? Do you love it?
Honestly, I believe that life in Australia is pretty amazing. I think that it is a relatively safe country to live in and we believe in giving everyone a 'fair go'. Australia is quite different to most countries as white people have only been living here for just over two hundred years so our culture is literally like a mixture of all the european countries that the first Australian settlers came from. For example we dont really have our own cuisine, instead the food we eat is like a mixture of international cuisines, from all over the world.

Do you like going to the beach?
I live literally a 30 second walk from the ocean so spend a lot of time there, especially walking my dog. While I loved swimming at the beach as a child, I havent done it very much over the last few years because I have gotten too cold too easily. Also I have a fear of sharks which makes me too frightened to go out in the ocean too deep. But I still really love sun baking on the beach and walking on the beach, especially in summer. My family go fishing sometimes out in the ocean as well which is lots of fun.

Who is your biggest support?
My dad would have to be my biggest support. Even when he realised he couldnt actively do anything to help me to get better, he was still always there to let me know he loved me. He accepted the fact that he couldnt make me better and knew that getting angry would only upset me more. he has been my main support person for as long as I can remember, even long before I got anorexia.

Do you like going out to parties or clubs?
18 is the age that you are allowed to start drinking legally in Australia and the age you can go to clubs etc so I Have pretty much been anorexic ever since I have been old enough to drink. Obviously I was too scared to drink when I was at my sickest because of the calories but I also have some personal reasons for not liking alcohol very much. I really dont like what alcohol can do to people so know I will never be a big drinker. In my life I have only been out twice to clubs and I have only drunk on less then 10 different occasions. While I know its not a great way to be, I am a bit of an all or nothing kind of girl so I only ever drink alcohol when I go out somewhere and end up having too much everytime.

No comments:

Post a Comment