Sunday 31 May 2015

Anorexia and clumsiness



Ever since I developed anorexia, I have become incredibely clumsy. I have scars all over my arms and hands from accidently burning myself. Even at the moment I have fresh burn marks on my arms and hands from my wood fire, the iron and my oven. Besides burning myself, I am also prone to accidently cutting myself while using knives to prepare meals. Something else I frequently do is run into things as I am trying to walk past them which results in large bruises on my legs, hips, knees and arms. Has anyone else experienced this type of thing with anorexia or starvation?

I suppose it is only natural that my concentration levels have decreased and I have become more clumsy as I know my brain has been so badly damaged. this damage has come from starving my emtire body, including my brain for so long, meaning that it is no longer able to function optimally.



While I was unable to find much information about whether or not there is a relationship between anorexia and clumsiness on line, I did find the following information about how starvation effects the brain. I was quite happy to read that as I recover, my brain should recover too, which should mean my clumsiness will be gone when I am recovered. Perhaps this is an indicator I can use to make sure I am physically repaired internally, when I appear to be physically repaired externally.


The Effects of Starvation on the Human Brain

During starvation the body does everything possible to preserve the brain. The brain has highest priority when it comes to gaining access to essential nutrients and fuel. The brain is, therefore, the last area to suffer from a shortage of food. There is even some evidence that short periods of starvation may be healthy for the brain. However, even the brain must eventually metabolize its own neurons to keep the rest of the brain alive.

Breakdown of Muscle and Neurons

When starvation is allowed to continue for an extended time period, most of the body's stored fat has been used up and the shortage of vitamins and minerals becomes significant. At this point, the body's only chance of survival is to metabolize its own muscles and connective tissue. The brain too lacks essential nutrients and begins to break down its own neurons to keep the rest alive.

Reduced Brain Volume

When the brain starts to break down its own neurons, the brain literally shrinks. This shrinkage, however, is reversible if starvation is ended. A study published in the May 2010 issue of "International Journal of Eating Disorders" showed reduced brain volume in people with anorexia nervosa. When anorexics starve themselves to lose weight, their brain starts metabolizing its own gray matter. However, those subjects who regained weight also regained brain volume.

9 comments:

  1. I have this too hun!! i am so clumsy and forgetful, i feel so stupid all the time :( though i guess thats an aftereffet of malnutrition. :( xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Im glad im not the only one Emmy. <3 People are always asking me what I have done to myself when they spot all of my cuts, burns, bruises and scars. I know thar some of the burn scars look like self harm marks which I hate. I have nenever self harmed before but I know that people think I have when they see those scars and marks :( xx

      Delete
    2. <3 the nurses at edp hun always said that even when the body has reached a healthy weight, it takes a good while for the bbrain to catch up, and all the cognitive stuff. Just try to be careful hun. <3 when i walk from place to place i try to really mind where i walk as if i fall i could break a bone with the osteoporosis! So just try to really be aware of your surroundings and what you are doing with your hands. And maybe hun you are rushing and hurrying all the time, eg. when you are preparing food,and this is why you are having accidents? My granny always said "more haste less speed" and i think this is so true hun! ;) xxx

      Delete
  2. OMG *_* this is incredible!! I have absolutely done the same things too :( and I was just always thinking this has nothing to do with my ED, but if you also experience this clumsiness this is really understandable :( wow, I can learn from you two so much ;) this is so interesting and new for me to know ;) as you also now this for example happened to me by slipping out on the frosty street and breaking my arm or spitting hot coffee over me :(
    Thanks for this pooost ;) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its amazing the ways anorexia affects you isnt it. As Emmy suggested, we just have to take some extra care and caution to try and avoid having accidents and hurting ourselves. :) xx

      Delete
  3. I'm always banging into things! The bruises on my hips arms and legs are spectacular from walking into things! X

    ReplyDelete
  4. I spill me tea all over me all the time >.<

    ReplyDelete
  5. It makes perfect sense that your eating disorder would make you clumsy. Our brains and bodies only perform at optimum levels if they are being taken care of properly. With your disorder, you are not giving the brain what it needs. Unfortunately, this is just part of the reaction. I hope you get the help you need and deserve.

    Margaretta Cloutier @ Aspire Wellness Center

    ReplyDelete