Friday 29 May 2015

Knowing what and how much to eat (Part 2)

I have already spoken about how meal plans can be helpful so that you know what to eat, but this post is more about how you can determine how much you should eat if you need to gain weight after an eating disorder. *TRIGGER WARNING* I dont usually talk about exact numbers of calories but I have in this post so please skip this post if numbers of calories trigger you. You must remember that everybody is different and that you should always follow the medical advice you have been given by professionals, rather than listening to what I say. I am not a professional and this is just my opinion of how much to eat in recovery, based upon what seems to be working for me.


There are many different recommendations about how much you should eat while recovering from anorexia and while I havent always felt this way, I now believe that gaining weight on a large calorie intake is the best way to go. I tried my hardest to recover on lower amounts, by slowly increasing my calories, first to 1800, then to 2000, 2200, and even 2500 but I still couldnt gain the weight I needed to. It wasn't until I increased my intake to 3000 calories that I actually started feeling good physically and gaining weight.


You need to remember that while recovering your body doesnt only need energy to gain weight. It also needs energy to complete its everyday functions as well as to repair all if the damage that was done whilst you were underweight or starving yourself. The way I worked out how much I needed to eat was by weighing myself half weekly. If I had gained weight (atleast 200-300 grams) since my last weigh in I would keep my intake the same. If I had lost or maintained my weight however, I would increase my intake by altering my meal plan.

Even if you are managing to gain weight at a relatively low intake (i.e. 2000 calories) I would not reccommend continuing to eat this amount as your body is most likely still in starvation mode. This means that while you may be managing to gain a little weight, your body would not be repairing of functioning optimally. This also means that you are at risk of having a supressed metabolism for the rest of your life which means you will never be able to eat normal amounts of food again without gaining weight.

I hope thst this has been helpful. If you have any more questions on this topic, just ask in the comments section and I will answer them :)

5 comments:

  1. hey hun, this is sort of a silly question which you might not be able to answer, but i just wondered hun. Is there any way of telling if you are one of those people who have damaged their metabolism and will gain weight eating just a small amount of food? i am worried that i might be one of those people, having eaten so little for so many years of my illness and having tried to gain weight in the past still eating too few calories. im just really worried about that hun :'( i wondered if you could give me any advice or thoughts. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A few of the signs are feeling really cold, feeling really hungry, feeling exhausted etc. Also if you cant eat normal amounts of food without gaining weight this is an indication that your metabolism is still supressed. Even if your metabolism is running slowly at the moment, its not too late to get it running properly again. Just make sure you are eating recovery amounts (between 2500-3500 calories) every day. X I hope that this is helpful? X

      Delete
    2. And its not a silly question at all. <3 xx

      Delete
    3. x thanks hun. well its difficult to tell really with me I suppose. I have been deliberately avoiding looking at my weight when I get weighed in the clinic, but as far asI know I have been maintaining my weight ever since I left there, though as you know I haven't really been following my meal plan 100%.
      The funny thing though hun is I am noever really cold (in fact, Im the opposite - Im the girl who is always hot and going round in skirts and dresses! ) , and I am never hungry either really hun, always full and bloated. I do feel tired sometimes, but no more than usual.
      Anyway hun I hope that by getting back on track with the meal plan , if my metabolism is damaged, it will be be able to recover. Its very difficult to tell with me. For example, I eat a very large amount of chocolate and hot chocolate, much more than the average person! But as you know of late I havent been that great in regard to my snacks, lunch and breakfast. xxx
      Thank you so much for your help hun <3 I will email you soon and update my blog with my next part of "meal Plan mission" <3 xxxx

      Delete
    4. Just keep believing that if you can get back to eating your meal plan, everything will be ok. :) and even if everything doesnt work out perfectly, atleast you know you have done everything in your power to allow your body and mind to repair. x you can never do anything more then your best Emmy <3 xx

      Delete