Sunday 31 May 2015

What is going on?



I was incrediebely shocked when I weighed myself this morning as my scales told me I had lost 500g since my last weigh in only 4 days ago. This makes no sence at all to me. Over the last few weeks, I have been consistantly gaining atleast 100g per day so to now start losing weight is a huge mystery. I have been eating the exact same amount and have not been doing any extra exercise so I really cant explain this dip in my weight. I know that I should not feel dissappointed in myself for this result as I havent done anything wrong and had no way of knowing it was happening.




It would have made more sense to me if I had started maintaining my weight, but to suddenly start losing weight, at the same rate I was previously gaining it is very strange. While I cant explain this weight loss, it still does not change the fact that it has happened and I therefore need to make some changes accordingly. Something we need to remember is that our bodies are not calculators or machines. We can never determine exactly what weight our bodies will gain or lose by consuming a certain amount of calories.


My anorexia is screaming at me that I dont need to make any changes as it must be some kind of mistake. It is telling me that perhaps the weightloss is only due to fluctuating water and fluid levels in my body. Or perhaps my scales are giving an innacurate reading as they occasionally have done in the past (although considering I got the same reading 10+ times, I doubt this very much). My anorexia could be right but by making no changes at all to my calorie intake, this would mean giving into my anorexia, which is something I know I cant do. Every time you give into one of your anorexic thoughts or demands, no matter how small it is, you are giving your anorexia strength.



So now I just need to decide on what changes I will make. Afternoon tea is probably the meal I feel as though I could increase as some of my calories are only made up from a drink. Perhaps instead of eating a medium piece of fresh fruit, Instead I can have a portion of dried fruit as dried fruit is something I enjoy and it is also much more calorie dense so I would not feel as though I was eating more. I will see how I go over the next 3 days and if I go back to gaining the same amount I was, (approximately 100g per day) I will keep eating this new intake amount. If I start gaining weight at an even faster rate, I may consider cutting back to my regular meal plan (without the driedfruit). Of course if I fail to gain enough weight or lose weight again I will know I need to make a more dramatic change to my intake.

What do you think about the weight loss I have experieced and the change I have decided to make?

3 comments:

  1. :( don't be disheartened hun. for some people it is INCREDIBLY diffiult to gain weight and i think you are just one of those people!! I think hun it might be to do with the fact that you have to work, walk about etc. because from experience hun, i only really gained the required weight when i was admitted to hospital and forced to rest. the only movement i really did was just moving about the ward and even that was monitored!! And then when i went home for the first weekend and of course moved around more, i went back the following monday and had lost a little weight .

    I know though hun this probably isnt possible for you to do , to limit moving around (and its not very pleasant hun anyway to force yourself to sit down all the time ) so yes, i think you are making a good change to the meal plan. Do you mkae your hot chocolate and cereal with full fat milk ? maybe try having milk, juice or milkshake with or after a meal? xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing your experience of this with me emmy. I have already cut my exercise back a lot but your right, there is some exercise that I still do that is unavoidable like walking tess, moving around at work and cleaning the house.

      I guess if I am really honest I still dont really believe I have lost weight over the last few days. It almost seems impossible to lose so much weight while eating so much. But I am determined to make some changes anyway, afterall eating more will not be bad for me, even if I havent lost weight. It will just mean that I will become weight restored faster, which is good :). As well as eating the dried fruit I also plan on making my morning oats with all milk, instead of some milk and some water which I have been doing up until now. It is only 3 days until my next weigh in so I will see how I go. I will increase my intake again Wednesday if I havent gained enough weight. Xx

      Delete
  2. Don't be disheartened or too disappointed. It is perfectly normal in recovery to lose weight sometimes, it is because your metabolism is still to-pot and it takes a while to settle down again. You just have to tweak your meal plan a little bit now, to include a bit more food. You've done nothing wrong, it's just your body adjusting. Take care hun X

    ReplyDelete