Friday 21 August 2015

How to stop thinking about food

Somthing that used to drive me crazy and still drives me crazy to some degree is obsessing over food. When I first started obsessing over food, it was because I was restricting what I ate. Since eating recovery amounts, I dont think about food anywhere near as much as I used to do but I do still think about it more then normal people do whixh I find quite annoying. I guess this is because it has almost become a habit, that I now need to break. I found the following article from this website really interesting and also really helpful.

how-to-stop-thinking-about-food-all-the-time-730
Are these the thoughts that run through your head? All. Day. Long?
Isn’t it lunch time yet? (at 10:00 am)
What should I make for dinner? (at 3:00 pm after your sweet treat pick-me-up)
Anything healthy in that vending machine?
OMG! I just totally blew my whole day by eating too many calories…
…may as well keep going.
If I get the calorie-free version, I can eat more.
Did I really just eat an entire half of an avocado?!
I want to eat that cookie. I was so good all day. I deserve a treat. It’ll be fine… I’ll just work out longer tomorrow.
It’s the weekend; I deserve another glass of wine.
Bathing Suit!? I really need to cut my calories…
…I’ll start Monday.
Clients often say, “Maya, it’s like you’re in my head!” to which I reply, “Because these used to be my thoughts too.” After uncovering my passion and purpose, I’ve come to learn that I was never alone with these thoughts, that these were the thoughts of millions of other women (and a few men) too. So YES, you are not alone in them and YES there is a way out of the obsessive thinking addiction.
So let’s begin to tackle this mental habit, but first know this:
This is not a subject that can be covered in its entirety with one tiny little blog post. The clients participating in my FREEDOM coaching program, can take over six months to get through this topic. This should give you an idea of the depth of practice required to alter your behaviors permanently.
In the meantime, let’s take a closer look and try to understand this topic a little bit better so you can begin to make some changes in your life NOW.
Thinking about food all of the time is a mental habit. Mental habits are repetitions of thought, meaning thoughts you keep thinking over and over again. In the same way you change a physical habit by first determining an alternative routine, you must first determine the desired alternative thought.
In other words, if you didn’t think about food ALL day long, what would you want to think about instead? What would you prefer to think about instead of the constant barrage of food thoughts? If the thinking about food makes you feel burdened, worrisome or frustrated, what thoughts would make you feel happy, light or peaceful?
Maybe thinking about something you are grateful for.
What about an accomplishment in your life?
Or even focusing on a peaceful or relaxing place like ocean or mountains?
Once you’ve determined the alternative thought you wish to use to replace the old one, you must maintain enough awareness of your thoughts to catch yourself thinking them! Typically, in the beginning, thoughts about food come so often and are so prominent (like any habit) that you only realize they are happening, when you notice how bad they make you feel.
It is entirely possible that just reading this post will help you to be more aware in the coming days.

So when the food thoughts arise and you are conscious of them, do this:

  1. Pause for a moment.

  2. Close your eyes.

  3. Take three breaths, inhaling and exhaling deeply, breathing from your belly.

  4. Repeat these words to yourself, “I am calm. Everything is OK in this moment.”You can say it silently to yourself or out loud.

  5. Continue by recalling your desired, alternate thought to mind. Hold that thought for as long as it is comfortable, peaceful and relaxing.

Repeat this as often as needed for one week. Practice focusing on your new thought and note the changes to your thought patterns and subsequent emotions along the way. In the same you practice a new habit of meal planning or exercising, you are practicing a new thought habit. Remember, progress, not perfection.

No comments:

Post a Comment