Friday 14 August 2015

Obsessing over food

Something I certainly do not miss from when my anorexia was at its worst is being completely obsessed with food. I would literally spend every minute of everyday thinking about food and it really was horrible. Because I wasn't eating anywhere near enough, my body obviously wanted me to eat which Isuppose was one of the reasons I couldn't stop thinking about food.

I became obsessed with trying my hardest to trick my body and everyone around me into thinking that I was eating plenty, however I was always consuming hardly any calories. I always ate foods that had a very low calorie density so that I would feel full for a little while however my body was still getting barely any energy.

I remember laying awake being unable to sleep at night and watching television series like 'Man Vs Food'. I don't know if you have ever heard of this show but it is basically just about a guy travelling around America and dining at 'pig out joints.' My favourite segment on the show would be when he took on food challenges when he had to do insane things like eat 30 hot dogs in 30 minutes etc.

I absolutely loved every minute that I spent eating (as long as I had prepared the food myself) and tried to eat my food as slowly as possible so that I could enjoy it for longer. I would use tny cutlery, take tiny bites and chew each mouthful many times. The whole time I wasn't eating, I was inpatiently waiting for my next meal time. I would never eat a meal early, no matter how hungry I was as to me this meant that I had lost the control I had over food which is something I was terrified of.

I would sped a long time cooking for other people. I would cook cakes and cookies and slices but eventually my family stoppped eating them and I couldn't bare to see food wasting so I stopped baking. I still however continues to read cook books and collect recipes. I would often rearrange the food on our fridge or cupboards and I had my own section of the fridge/in the cupboard where my food went.

In a way, even just watching the people around me eating nice foods would be satisfying and it made me feel as though I didnt need to ea myself. I could spen hours and hours in a supermarket, walking up every single isle many times and inspecting every product. I knew the nutritional information of many foods and had an inbuilt calorie counter in my brain.

I would spend hours and hours on my calorie counting app, planning future meals and I would also search for new foods that I could buy that would fit into my extremely restrictive diet easly. while all of my family wwere worried about me, they all knew that they could not mention my food intake to me at all without world war three breaking out. i was very deffensive about what I was eating as my anorexiaa really had tricked me into thinking I was eating enough.

My mum would yell and scream at me if I ever mentioned food but since this was really all that I thought about from day to day, I really didn't have anything else to talk about. obsessing over food all day everyday really was hell for me and I am so glad that I do not do this anymore. I really do believe that we should eat so that we can live. we definetely should not live so that we can eat.

There are so many wonderful things in life to enjoy however we miss out on all of those things while we are sick and obsessing over food and calories. Life really is a gift and we shouldn't waste it being sick with an eating disorder. Please, keep fighting for recovery and live the woderful life you truly deserve.



6 comments:

  1. I can relate to a lot of this. You should be so proud of yourself, now that you can call this your past. :) <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emma! I am incredibely happy that this is now all just a part of my past. It was truly awful and no way to live. x

      Delete
  2. This is so very true. The decades I've spent thinking like this is truly horrible. The hardest part was I know my thought patterns aren't right but recently I asked a trusted friend (not anorexic) if I was "bad". He said more than I would ever know. It's really overwhelming to hear that when I thought the opposite. I'm in recovery for the hundreth time and this time I know I can do it but I just need to work my terrible thinking and get to the stage where I can see myself as others see me. Maybe that's exactly what I needed to hear. You are doing so well to get where you are but we all know recovery isn't just about the weight so my love goes towards you. I've got a fair way to go but seeing how you have done this gives me hope and I remind myself it can be done. I just need to break through the pain in my head. I'm sure you know what I mean. So proud of you!!! Hugs and special blessings to you Karlyx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am just so happy for you that you are in recovery again Sonya. After battling this awful illness for decades my heart really does go out to you. Well done for beieving in yourself and for believing that recovery is possible. If you believe it, it will happen <3 xx

      Delete
  3. It's scary how much I can relate to this. I basically did/do the same things as you. I find this very disturbing and sad. Especially becouse it doesn't matter how old you are, where you live, what is your background story... Anorexia always appears with the same schema. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have also always found it scary how much diffferent anorexics have in common. I mean, how can your behaviours and thoughts be identicle to others who live on opposite end of the planet to you? It really is crazy! In a way I guess it is comforting to know that others are going through or have gone through the same things as you though, as it stops you from feeling so alone. Keep fighting gorgeous! I believe in you <3 xx

      Delete