Saturday 29 August 2015

We are not our eating disorders

I was really dissappointed when I heard my younger brother talking the other day about a girl who actually really likes my older brother. I can't rememeber exactly what he said but he was basically suggesting that my older brother should not be with the girl as she was on anti-depressants. Although I didn't confront my little brother about what he was saying at the time, I have thought a lot about it since.

I have met this girl and to me she seems like an incredibly friendly and caring girl with a wonderful personality and it really does sadden me to think that boys can be so shallow as to not want to be with someone, just because they have sufffered from a mental illness at some stage in their lives. Of course, whilst I was thinking about this girl and what my brother said, I began to wonder whether boys who know about my past have the same types of thoughts about me.

I suddenly remembered back to when I was talking to a guy at the party I went to a few weeks ago and another guy came up to him and started whispering in his hear. Shortly after this the boy I was talking too waked away and didn't speak to me again all night. I can't be sure but I really cant help but wonder whether the boy had been told or 'warned' about what I have been through which 'scared him off' talking to me.

I suppose the truth of the matter is, there will always be judgemental and shallow people who judge you based upon how you look or what mental illness you may or may not have suffered from. What we need to remember is that people like these are not the types of people we want to have in our lives anyway.

I do not want to have a boyfriend or even just be friends with somebody if I feel as though I need to hide my past from  them because I am scared that they will not be ble to accept me. I want people in my life who are understanding and sensitive to the fact that I have been through quite a lot in my life and who will support me through any difficulties I may have in the future.

I suppose the point I am trying to make is that if somebody is not willing to give you a chance because you have suffered from a mental illness in the past, then they really are not the kind of people you want to spend time with anyway. Try not to worry about small minded poeple as I assure you that they are the ones missing, not you. You deserve soembody who cares about you regardless of whether you have a mental illness or have suffered from on in the past.




2 comments:

  1. Great post! I completely agree, its so sad that people will judge you based on whether you suffered a mental illness, its no difference to a physical one! I think part of the reason is because people are not well educated enough on mental illness or just too ignorant. hope your well xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly Liberty! I agree with you 100%. I am good thank-you! I hope that you are happy and well too. X

    ReplyDelete