Wednesday 8 July 2015

No longer feeing the cold

One of the biggest probems for me when I was at my sickest is that I would get terribely cold all the time. Before I went into hospital, I suffered from hypothermia as well as when I got out of hospital. Even in the middle of summer I would still always have a blanket around me whilst I was at home and always wore jumpers outside, no matter how nice it was.

I was no longer able to swim in pools, at the river or at the beach as my body temperature would start to drop once I got in the water and it was extremely hard for me to wam back up again. My fingernails were constantly a blue/purple colour and I constantly has goosebumps. Being cold was one of the worst side effects for me of my anorexia and it really did interfere with my life.

Since I have started eating recovery amounts, this has all changed. My temperature no longer drops when I get cold as the thermoregulation in my body now works. This is because my metabolism had repaired and my body no longer feels as though it must conserve energy by shutting down body processes such as thermo-regulation, as I am providing it with so much food.

The last few days have been extremely freezing however it really has not bothered me at all. In fact, I seem to feel the cold even less then most other people I know which I think is fantastic, considering how much I have suffered with feeling cold in the past. This morning when I went for a walk with Tess before work, it was freezing, I walked her at 7:40am on the beach and even the sand was icy and it was still zero degrees celcius.

Even though my hands stung because the air was so cold, I actually didn't feel cold at all, I felt great! It feels trully fantastic to be able to withstand the cold so much now and I hope that this will continue into the future. I think it should as long as I continue to eat enough food, to provide my body with all the energy as it needs.




4 comments:

  1. I can completely relate to feeling the cold. As I type this, in the middle of summer, my hands are like blocks of ice, and I'm wearing a hooded jumper and clutching a blanket, so I know what you mean about being cold. I still think it's so cool that you live somewhere called Swansea and my grandmother lives in a city called Swansea!! I'm so glad you're no longer feeling the cold so bad. It's a sure sign that you're in recovery from anorexia! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, feeling the cold is awful and something I definetely dont miss! :) X Just think of being warm as another reason to recover! Please keep fighting Annie, I am really worried about you and wish there was something I could do to show you have wonderful you are and make you believe that you desere more then the life you are currently existing in :'( xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're right, I need to use it as another reason to recover. There are so many reasons to recover! I am always fighting, please don't worry, I will never give up! It just gets too much sometimes. I wish I were as strong as you are! <3 xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad to her that Annie, tthat you will never give up! I know that you are every bit as strong as I am Annie, you just need to believe in yourself in order to use your strength to recover. <3 x

      Delete