Monday 13 July 2015

I never thought I would get anorexia

Growing up, I never thought for a moment that I would become anorexic. I remember watching news stories as a young child about anorexic sufferers and being quite interested in the stories however I did not really understand what anorexia was about. I failed to see just how much of an illness it was and honestly did think that the sufferers were just choosing not to eat.

About 6 months before my anorexia started to develop, I actually had a conversation with my nan about anorexia. She was talking about another local girl who had been admitted into hospital with anorexia and I remember saying 'there is no way I could ever be anorexic, I love food way too much.' It was quite ironic really as it was only about 12 months later that I was put into hospital at the same time as that other local girl, where we stayed together for over 6 weeks.

I suppose the message I am trying to get across is that no one ever sees anorexia coming and that even though someone may think that they would never develop anorexia, this does not mean that they won't. It doesnt matter what race, nationality, gender or age you may be or how intelligent you are, anyone can develop an eating disorder. Anorexia really doesn't discriminate!




2 comments: